During our last holiday to our favourite place on Earth (if you haven’t heard me say it a million times already it’s Excellence Playa Mujeres!!) we spent a wonderful few evenings watching movies on an outdoor projector screen by the beach, which got me thinking that with our garden renovations (read more about that here) this would make the perfect summer evening activity!
Before we even got back home I had ordered a projector and portable projector screen and started planning out how we were going to make it work!
Projector – Link
Projector Screen 120″ – Link
I found lots of DIY screen stand tutorials online but the majority used thick PVC pipes as their frame which I wasn’t so keen on – a quick trip to a DIY shop and we decided to use metal tubes instead for a smarter look.
We picked up 1 piece of chrome plated 15mm copper pipe and 4 x copper pipes ( 2 x 2m and 2 x 3m) – the copper pieces aren’t seen so we opted for the cheaper version of the pipe for the top of the frame and chrome legs where they would be seen.
Copper Pipe 2m – Link
Copper Pipe 3m – Link
Chrome Pipe – Link
We also picked up two elbow joints and two tee joints that are to fit 15mm pipes.
Elbow Joints – Link
Tee Joints – Link
We cut one of the 3m pieces down to 2.5 metres using a pipe cutter for the top of the frame.
Pipe cutter – eBay Link
We joined two pieces using an elbow joint and tightened it until it didn’t move. We then added another piece on the other end of the longer pole using another elbow joint.
We then used the height of the room to decide how tall we wanted the frame to be and cut 50cm off of the copper pipes.
We then cut 45cm of chrome pipe to be used as the visible part of the legs.
The silver buckets above were actually waste paper bins from Homebase but look great as bases for the stand!
Bins – Homebase (not online)
We cut a piece of wood that fit across the diameter of the bin and cut a hole out of the middle of it to hold the pole central and in place.
We then filled the inside of them with fast setting concrete and left to set – the weight holds the poles up in place and also stops the whole thing falling over.
We then went back to our frame and added the tee brackets to the bottoms with another supporting pole across them to create a rectangle.
We laid the frame on top of the projector screen and threaded a thick cord in a zig zag to hold it tight around the frame.
Thick Cord – Link
I’ve also ordered some cord toggles to go on the end of the cord to hold tighter.
Cord Toggles – Link
We had to cut a small hole on the two bottom sections where the tee joints connected to the chrome legs.
We then connected the chrome legs to the tee joints on the frame and the stand is complete!
This can now also be easily un-assembled by removing the screen and the metal joints just pull apart when needed.
The image is of course much clearer with the lights out!
We’ve been testing it out indoors but cannot wait for the weather to get better so we can enjoy it outside under the stars!
Next thing on my list is to find some suitable speakers to use outside!
I’ve never been much of a garden lover but since we’ve transformed it I can’t wait to spend more time out there! Read more about our garden renovation here.
Lots of love
*This post may contain affiliate links, this means that when you click on that link I may receive a small commission for the referral, however please note that you will never pay more for your item as a result!