We’ve recently built a false chimney breast with integrated TV, which lots of you have asked how to do, so here is the step by step guide!
This wall of our lounge has always had a random pillar in the middle which has been driving me mad since we moved in. I tried mirrors and shelves to try to distract from it but nothing seemed to do the trick!
We recently ordered new sofas (read more about that here) which sparked a room switch around to make that annoying pillar have a purpose and to allow the new sofas to have a better backdrop against a flat wall – can’t wait for them to arrive!
So the day after we ordered the sofas I woke up and decided that the best way to blend that pillar in was to create a false chimney breast to make it look part of the room – some pinterest searching later I found lots of examples of how to create one with built in TV and the perfect place to hide all of our boxes and cables (which were previously hidden in a kitchen cupboard behind the TV).
The biggest part of this project was getting the power and sockets in the right place. We decided where we needed sockets and drilled out holes for them.
We then got an electrician in to wire plug sockets in, move our aerial and our telephone socket to behind where the chimney breast would be.
Plug sockets in place, we then took a trip to B&Q and came back with:
16 x Wood battens – Link
5 x Plasterboard – Link
Angle brackets (we found a pack of them in store) – Link
Skirting board – Link
2 x Coving strips – Link
2 x MDF strips –
2 x Plastic Edging – Link
We measured width of the TV, plus 2cm gap each side, the width of the battens and the width of the pillar to reach the overall width required. Mr R then set to work screwing the battens to the wall and each other using angle brackets.
This was the basic outline which mirrored the pillar on the opposite side and left enough gap in the middle for the TV.
We then attached the TV to the wall and added further battens to map out a gap where the fireplace would be – the gap means that we can pull out the electric fireplace part and easily reach the boxes that are hidden inside the space if needed.
Then we added more batons to fit the soundbar – these battens were screwed behind the edge ones so that they sat further back to create a hollow (rather than at the same level to be flat).
Then we cut some shelves out of MDF for the wifi router, answer phone, DVD Player etc to sit on – as I said above these shelves can be accessed easily if required with the gap behind the fireplace.
With the structure now in place we cut pieces of plasterboard to size and boxed it in by screwing it to the frame.
More plasterboard was used to box around the soundbar gap too.
This was the finished boxed up look. The battens were measured and attached so that the wall would be flat against the pillar once the plasterboard was added.
We then used filler to fill the gaps in the plasterboard to create a smooth finish.
Once dry the filler was then lightly sanded to ensure it was completely smooth.
We then attached a batten border behind the TV with a few cm gap from the back, so that the cables could hide behind it.
Also at this point it is worth noting our new TV bracket which is able to extend in and out from the wall – this means that we can easily get behind the TV if we needed to just by pulling it out.
TV Bracket – Link
We drilled holes behind the bottom baton for the cables to feed through.
We then attached plastic L shaped strips to the pine strip (the pine is double the width of the battens we had created a frame with behind the TV).
We then screwed this to the baton frame created above – this layer hides the cables from sight and also creates a border for the LED TV lights to attach to.
This is the effect with the new TV lights – this type are mains connected but controlled by an app on your mobile which means that you can choose from the entire colour spectrum not just the few that are on a remote.
TV Lights – Link
I also gave the whole thing a quick coat of plain white paint for the time being until it is wallpapered. If you wanted to have plain it may need a coat of plaster at this point if the filling has not come out smooth enough.
We then cut out and attached matching coving along the top.
Finally we cut out matching skirting board and boxed in the bottom!
I’m so so happy with it – it’s created a beautiful focal point in the room and the unsightly pillar has blended right in!
Lots of love
*This post may contain affiliate links, this means that when you click on that link I may receive a small commission for the referral, however please note that you will never pay more for your item as a result!